Choosing the most secure front doors and the best hardware for your home
As the main entrance to your home, not only is it important for your front door to be aesthetically pleasing, but it’s also extremely important that it maintains the security of your home. Any door or window in your home is vulnerable to break ins so ensuring you choose the right front door and hardware for security will help you to make your home as secure as possible.
Click the links below to jump to the relevant section:
Learn more about choosing the best security locks for your front door.
Find out more about the best type of front door for security including the materials and other factors to consider.
Find out more about choosing the most secure door handles for your front door, including the types available.
Learn more about the steps you can take to improve the security of your front door.
The best security locks for your front door
When buying a new front door, not only should you look for a material and glazing option that will keep the door as secure as possible, you will also need to research the best type of lock to ensure that intruders are unable to snap or break it to gain entry to your home.
Types of lock available include:
- 5 lever mortice deadlock – this type of lock is commonly fitted to a wooden front door and can be locked from the inside and the outside. It’s fitted into the door instead of on the surface.
- Multi-point locking system – can be used with any entry door and is always operated using a key. This is one of the most secure locking systems you can buy.
- Rim lock or night latch – placed on the door’s surface and locks automatically when you close the door but you will need an additional lock to ensure complete security.
- Lever lock – come in three and five lever options (the higher the number of levers, the more secure the door is) and provides a good level of security. Many insurers specify a five-lever lock as standard.
The door lock you choose will depend on a number of factors so these should all be carefully considered when choosing both the type of front door you install in your home and the locks you choose. When buying a lock for your front door, consider:
- The material of the door
- The security standards you want to meet
- Your home insurance requirements
Checking your home insurance policy to find out whether a specific type of door lock is specified will have a huge impact on the lock you’ll need for your front door. Remember that if you don’t have the correct door lock and your home is broken into, you may not have full protection from your insurance policy.
To find out more about choosing the best security locks for your front door, please read our guide.
Which type of front door is best for security?
When choosing a new front door for your home, one of the biggest factors in deciding on the right door for you will be the security it can offer to your home. The look and material of your front door alone can be a deterrent to potential intruders who want to gain access to your home as quickly as possible without being detected. So, what should you be looking for in a front door in terms of security? Factors to consider include:
- Door material and style
- The door lock fitted or available with the door
- Accreditations or certifications
Each material and style of door will have its own strengths and weaknesses in terms of security so it’s important to carefully consider and understand your options before making a final decision.
Front door materials and security
Let’s have a look at the different door materials available and their security.
Wooden front doors
Wooden front doors offer a sturdy and long-lasting solution for any home and a solid door that will be hard for any intruder to break into.
- Sturdy and durable
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Variety of locks can be fitted
- Require more maintenance than other doors to maintain their longevity
- Door material and frame must be a high-quality wood to offer
uPVC front doors
uPVC front doors have been popular for a number of years due to their versatility and low maintenance.
- Cheaper than other door materials but maintain security
- High manufacturing standards now provide security
- Can be customised to suit your home and needs
- Can degrade after a number of years which means security is also compromised
- Can only be fitted with the lock fitted upon installation
Composite doors look to address the problems and weaknesses found in other types of door.
- Can withstand huge amounts of force
- Extremely secure
- Can be customised to suit your home
- Needs very little maintenance
- One of the most expensive doors on the market
In addition to the material of your front door, there are also a number of other factors to consider to ensure security including:
- A reputable supplier
- Home insurance policy
To find out more about the best front door for the security of your home, please read our guide.
How to choose the best handle for your front door
Selecting a handle for your front door may seem like a simple task, however, to ensure complete security for your home, the functionality and the security it provides will also be important to consider.
The main factors to consider when choosing the best front door handle for your home are:
- Aesthetics – your door handle should fit in with the overall look and style of your home and front door.
- Functionality – consider how the door handle will be used and whether it’s the right choice for your front door. You need something that allows you easy access to your front door without jamming or sticking.
- Security – your front door handle should offer a sturdy solution that will prevent intruders from being able to easily break or snap it to gain access to your home.
Types of door handle
There are a number of types of door handle to consider, each with its own benefits.
These are the most popular option and come in a range of styles. However, they will need to be locked when you leave your home as they do not lock automatically when you close the door.
Door knobs offer a great security barrier against intruders but, as there is no lever, you will require a key to get in and out of your home and to make sure your home is secure when you go out.
Long bar handle
Long bar handles provide extra decoration for your front door and make it easy to push or pull the door open and closed. They do not offer anything in the way of security so an additional lock will be required. Learn more about choosing the best handle for your front door, in our guide.
How can you make your front door more secure
Making sure that your front door is as secure as possible will help to keep your home safe from intruders and reduce the chances of anyone being able to gain access. The majority of home robberies occur when intruders gain access through a front door that’s weak. It’s the easiest point of access to your home so, making sure you put as many measures in place as possible will make a significant difference.
So, what should you do to help improve the security of your front door?
- Locks – choosing the right lock for your door will go a long way towards preventing anyone from snapping or breaking it to gain access.
- Reinforcement - common reinforcements for your front door include a deadbolt, door chain, hinge and screw reinforcements and a high-quality door handle.
- Strike plate – this can improve security by reinforcing the door jamb which is an area prone to weakening.
- Replace or repair hinges – weak hinges can allow intruders to gain access so checking them frequently and providing any maintenance will help to keep them in the best condition.
- Alter letterbox – letterboxes can provide access to your home so extra precautions such as a draught excluder can make it more difficult for thieves to gain access
- Peepholes – installing a peephole will allow you to see who’s at the door and decide whether or not you want to open it.
- Glazing – double and triple glazing can make it more difficult for an intruder to gain access and makes it much more difficult for them to force entry.
- Replace your front door – unfortunately, if you have an older front door, the best solution for security may be to replace it completely. Seeing an old, run down front door can be a signal to thieves that your house will be easy to gain access to.
- Repair or replace your door handles – door handles can have an impact on the security of your home so making sure they’re in good condition will help to improve the security of your front door. Find out more about repairing or installing new door handles in our guides.
If you’d like to find out more about making your home more secure, please read our guide.