What are external bifold doors?
External bifold doors were originally called many different names folding sliding doors, folding patio doors, bifold patio doors, sliding patio doors, concertina doors. It is only more recently that bifold doors has been adopted by manufacturers and consumers alike.
Depending on the width of your opening, bifold doors usually have a minimum of 2 up to a maximum of 6 doors that are joined together with engineered hardware which allows them to slide and fold together easily. It is possible to have more than 6 doors but it’s unusual.
Why choose external bifold doors?
- Increase Natural light – dimly lit large and small living spaces can have their general atmosphere totally transformed by replacing areas of solid wall with bifold door systems.
- Increases the feeling of space – Even with a small garden the fact you can visually see beyond the rear of the house really increases that feeling of space within. Even small rooms can benefit massively from this.
- Blur Boundaries – create seem-less areas between the inside and outside when the doors are open, perfect for those larger special occasions.
- Energy efficient – modern bifold doors easily outperform old style patio doors when it comes to thermal efficiency saving you money on heating bills.
- Secure – most bifold doors feature multi point locks on the access door along with shoot bolts on other doors making them very secure.
- Quick and easy to install – bifold doors are quick and easy to install typically 1 day is more than enough.
- Easy operation – High quality bifold door hardware is very easy to use, sliding and folding open and closed in seconds.
- Add value/saleability – Installing bifold doors in your home improves the appeal to potential purchasers and can even increase the value of your home. While at the same time giving you all of the above benefits.
Where can bifold doors be used?
External bifold doors can be used in many different locations. The most common use is in new extensions added to the rear of a house. This could be an extension to the kitchen, living or dining room. They are also often found in conservatories, orangeries and to a lesser extent bedrooms.
Bifold doors can also be used in bars and restaurants and shops in the high street.
Do exterior bifold doors need planning permission?
Generally speaking you rarely need to apply for planning permission to install exterior bifold doors in an existing opening in your home.
If you are creating a new opening or enlarging an existing opening you should be covered under permitted development rights however it’s worth contacting your local authority first before undergoing any work.
If you live in a listed building, conservation area or Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) then you would need to get the appropriate planning permission.
How much do bifold doors cost?
The cost of an external bi fold door will vary depending on the:
- Overall width
- Material used in construction
- Number of doors
- Glazing e.g double glazed, triple glazed, laminated glass
Some example prices can be found in the below table
||Material||Width in Metres||No. Doors||Finish||Double/Triple Glazing||Cost inc VAT|
|Status Express||Aluminium||2.7||3||Anthracite Grey||Double||£2699.00|
Ready-to-assemble what does it mean?
Our external bifolds are only supplied as a complete package. In other words they come with everything, all the essential item’s needed such as hinges, tracks, hardware, ironmongery, fixings and seals are included. The doors are even pre – glazed in our factories. Virtually everything is pre-machined and ready-to-assemble**.
That means once your external bifold doors are installed, you can be sure of having a fully engineered unit with all aspects of the design and components extensively tested by us for flawless operation.
Advantages of a ready-to-assemble door set
You might find cheaper door sets that look similar but beware they don’t always include all the items you need and are often not pre-machined or pre-glazed ready-to-assemble.
Vufold sets offer you many advantages:
- Comprehensive easy to follow fitting instructions included.
- No complicated ‘toe and heeling’ of the glass required.
- Consistent high quality, so every part fits as it should.
- Competent DIYer’s may not need a specialist fitter.
- Reduced time and cost through quicker installation on-site
- No specialist equipment needed as virtually everything's fully machined.
- No need to waste time and money sourcing fixing’s.
- No delays and frustration while you source essential components from different suppliers.
For true peace of mind you need a Vufold Door Set - every supplied component has been thoroughly tested and approved. That's why we guarantee all our external bifold door sets for a minimum of 10 years.
** Elite, Master and Ultra require handle preparation to be done by installer all drill bits are included with the bifold door set.