How to fit external bifold doors
If you’re looking for bifold doors to improve your home, installation costs can often be a concern. However, many suppliers, including Vufold, provide bifold doors that can be easily installed, without the need of specialists or trades people.
There are many factors to consider before buying bifold doors with fitting and installation being one of them so we have provided information on what you should consider before ordering or fitting your own bifold doors, from the initial elements to think about, to the tools you require and how to physically install the doors.
In this guide
Learn more about what you should consider before fitting your external bifold doors.
Find out more about the tools you will need in order to install your bifold doors once they are delivered.
Read our step-by-step guide to find out more about fitting your bifold doors.
Learn more about Vufold’s ready-to-assemble bifold doors and how easy they are to install.
Factors to consider before fitting external bifold doors
Before purchasing bifolding doors for your home, there are a number of elements you should consider first.
As you will be making external changes to your home, you will need to find out whether you will need planning permission. Usually, if a bifolding door is replacing an existing old door they will not usually require planning permission, but you will have to make sure that the doors meet building regulations.
If you are planning to widen an existing opening in order to install your bifold doors, you may need to get planning permission. It should usually be granted but, depending on the area you live in, may require planning permission. You will also need to ensure that the opening you have is able to support the weight of the folding door you will be installing.
When creating a completely new opening for your exterior bifold doors, it’s highly likely that you will need to get planning permission so you should contact your local council to find out more about the actions you need to take. In conservation areas or listed buildings, you will need planning permission to install your doors or to replace an old external door.
Check whether the door opening for your bifold doors is in good condition. All four internal surfaces of the brickwork must be levelled before installing your bifold doors.
Make sure you take exact measurements. When taking your measurements, you will also need to take into account the number of panels you want to install as well as the frame system for your doors.
You will also need to check the lintel above the opening in which you’re intending to install your bifold doors. You’ll need to make sure they’re in good condition. If in doubt, consult a structural engineer.
What you will need
When installing bifold doors yourself, there are a few tools you will need to ensure you install your doors properly including:
- Vufold External Bifold Door Assembly Kit and Instructions
- Tape measure
- Spirit level
Vufold’s ready-to-assemble doors come with all of the screws and drill bits you will need for your bifold door installation. Vufold also supplies brush and polyurethane/foam seals with external wooden bifold doors. These reduce draughts and noise transfer and prevent light gaps between the doors when closed, these elements are left out of most bifold door kits.
How to fit external bifold doors
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to fit your own external bifold door system.
Step one: Preparation
- Before you begin your installation, you must prepare the site. All brickwork must be levelled, and you should double-check the dimensions.
- Ensure you have all of your tools ready as well as all of the items detailed in the instructions.
Step two: Assemble the frame
- Construct the outer frame using the wood screws, attaching the jambs and fixing the sills into two sections. Then, connect the two sections to create the square frame.
- Carefully check the measurements of the frame to ensure it is perfectly square.
Step three: Opening options
- If you haven’t already decided which direction your bifold doors will open, now is the time. Whether you want your doors to open to the left or right will dictate how the track is fitted.
- Once you have assembled the top track with your opening preferences, you’ll need to secure it into your assembled frame.
Step four: Install assembled frames
- Next, you will need to install the frame that you have assembled with the sill facing outside. Ensure that the frame is installed straight and square – this is essential.
- Ensure the frame is secure and silicone seal around the jamb/sill joint base.
- Permanently fix the top track.
Step five: Seal the door frame
- It’s important to make sure that your exterior doors are weatherproof, so the next stage is to fit weather seals to the frame
We need to make sure that your exterior doors are weatherproof, so the next stage is to fit the weather seals to the frame and brush the seal into the frame head.
Step six: Fit drop bolts and pivot door
- Fit the drop bolts - these are the unkeyed points that help to secure the door.
- Fit the pivot door. You'll need to fix the pivot hinges and pivot block to the doors and track as required. You'll need your drill here.
Once you've attached all the fittings, lift the door panel onto the bottom pivot. This is where you'll need two people so you can hold the door and adjust it so that it sits straight and attaches.
Step seven: Fit the middle doors
- You will then need to fit the middle doors and attach them into the frame.
Step eight: Adjust the doors
- Adjust the doors so that they fit and move properly, all you’ll need is the supplied Allen key to do this.
Step nine: Fit lock and handles
- The lock fits into the frame jamb, and all the elements you need are provided. Once you've fitted the lock, mark the holes for the keyhole and the handle screws.
- To finish up, fit the door stop and magnetic catches.
Vufold's ready-to-assemble bifold doors
The beauty of the Vufold ready-to-assemble bifold doors is that they are easy to install, come with everything you need and allow you to achieve the incredible effect of bifold doors in your home without spending a fortune or waiting for a specialist fitter.
With our easy to follow instructions, consistent high quality (so you know that every part fits as it should) and with everything included (no wasting time scouring the internet for parts), Vufold's ready to assemble bifold doors are the perfect option for you and your home. Ready-to-assemble bifold doors are available in our wooden, composite and aluminium bifold door ranges.
To find out more about purchasing or fitting your own bifold doors, please contact our team of experts today.