What is the cost of a front door replacement? Factors to consider
The front door is one of the most important aspects of your home, both visually as well as for security and thermal efficiency. When choosing any exterior door for your home, there are a number of factors to consider to protect your home and ensure thermal efficiency. Front doors in particular help to create a first impression for anyone visiting your home so making the right decision is important, particularly if you’re thinking of selling your home in the future.
One of the key factors to consider is the cost of your new door. This can vary greatly depending on a number of factors. This guide should help to shed some light on the cost of a front door replacement and what you should keep in mind when working out your budget.
In this guide
Find out more about the common reasons for replacing a front door.
Find out more about the various factors that can have an impact on the cost of your front door replacement.
Learn more about the average costs of various front doors and materials.
Find out more about any other costs you should consider when replacing your front door.
Learn more about how much it costs to buy a Vufold front door.
Why replace your front door?
If you have lived in your home for a while, or your front door has been there for a long period of time and is run down, you will probably be looking at replacing it with a new door.
It could be in poor condition, doesn’t look it’s best anymore or is letting the cold in. It could also be purely for aesthetic reasons and you’re looking to switch up the style. These are all valid reasons to replace your front door and the wide range of doors out there can cater to all of the above.
Replacing your front door has the following benefits:
- Improve appearance and value of your home
- Improve energy efficiency
- Improve security
Factors that can impact the cost of front door replacement
When it comes to selecting your new door, there are a number of things that can have an impact on the price. You will need to consider the following:
The material you choose
Front doors are available in a wide range of different materials including composite, wooden and uPVC. Each material has its own varying costs so, when considering a new front door, you should think about the material you would like and how much it’s likely to cost. Investing in a high-quality and more expensive front door will ensure that your external door is as secure as possible and will last for a number of years.
The style of the door
Front doors in various materials are also available in a number of styles which can have an impact on the cost of the door.
The cost to install your door
Alongside the initial cost of your door, you should also consider how much it will cost for a professional door fitter to come and install the door for you. Depending on the work that needs doing and whether the replacement is simply will have an impact on how much it might cost for someone to install it for you. Employing a professional to install your door for you will help to ensure maximum security and that the door fits properly.
Glazing or side panels
Some front doors are available with glazed panels within the door or with side panels. These glass panels can have an effect on the cost of your door, as well as whether you choose double glazing or triple glazing. The glazing you choose will have an impact on the thermal efficiency of your door so should be considered carefully.
Whether both the door and frame need replacing or just the door itself
If you are just replacing the existing door, the costs and work required will be much lower than replacing both the door and the door frame. The door frame can have an impact on how well your door operates, it’s security and thermal efficiency so making sure it’s fitted properly and is fit for purpose will ensure your door lasts as long as possible.
How much do front doors cost?
As mentioned above, the material of your front door can have an impact on how much it will cost. The most popular materials are uPVC, wood and composite so let’s have a look at the average costs of these types of doors.
- uPVC door prices start at around £280 and range to £350
- Design, location, installer can impact costs
- Features such as double glazing or triple glazing, extra panels or windows can increase costs
- A uPVC door is the most budget-friendly type of front door
- Composite door prices start from £850
- Cost around 50% more than uPVC doors
- More premium in terms of aesthetics and security
- Composite door costs depend on design features such as glazing or side panels
- Type of wood door can affect the cost
- Oak or timber door prices range between £300-£1,800
- Pine prices range between £120-£1,100
- Additional costs come from double glazing or triple glazing, glass side panels and features
What does front door installation cost?
When it comes to installing your new front door, you should also consider the cost of installation alongside the cost of the door by itself.
Think about the following questions:
- Does the old door need to be removed professionally?
- Are you replacing to door frame too?
- Is any customisation required (such as the frame needing to be re-sized)?
- Do letterboxes, an additional lock, door knockers or handles need to be installed?
The average cost in the UK for installing a front door is around £138 but this can be affected by all of the factors listed above. Speak to your chosen tradesperson about what you require and they will be able to give you an accurate quote.
Additional costs to consider
When installing your front door, you should also consider the additional aspects that will likely add to the costs. These include:
- Extra finishes – Door finishes include factors such as whether you want a wooden door to be oiled or waxed to give it a more premium finish.
- Door furniture – Your front door has many purposes. As well as being the main physical entrance to your house, you will need to think about what features you would like to be added to it to make it more useful. This includes a letterbox, numbers, door knockers, doorbells and the lock or latches you choose to improve security.
- Custom-made doors – a custom made door is totally unique to you and your specification. As it is made to your own unique requirement, it can be slightly more expensive. You can change up the style, size and various other elements to match your needs and completely transform the look and feel of your home.
- Old door disposal – some companies offer free disposal of your old door in exchange for fitting your new one. Do your research and find out if this is available. If not, you will need to find a business near you that will take old front doors off your hands and how you can get the door to them.
Costs of Vufold front doors
At Vufold, our range of Ultimate Wooden front doors will suit any budget and taste.
|Product||Sizes available||Sidelight available?||Cost|
|Vufold Ultimate Oslo Grey Front Door||
|Vufold Ultimate Stockholm Grey Front Door||
||Yes||£529 - £1,619|
|Vufold Ultimate Malmo Grey Front Door||
||Yes||£539 - £1629|
|Vufold Ultimate Oslo Oak Front Door||
||Yes||£449 - £1799|
|Vufold Ultimate Stockholm Oak Front Door||
||Yes||£539 - £1,889|
|Vufold Ultimate Malmo Oak Front Door||
||Yes||£549 - £1,899|
Benefits of Vufold’s Ultimate wooden front doors include:
- Available in Ultimate Grey and Ultimate Oak
- 10-year manufacturer’s guarantee
- Optional frame kits and ironmongery available
- Fully finished with a high quality wood coating system
- Use a high performance CLPF core
- Free 3-day delivery
- Trimmable design
All of our Ultimate doors should be professionally-fitted by someone with the necessary joinery skills.
You can take a look at our full range of doors on our website.
If you’d like to find out more about our range of front doors or the costs, please get in touch with our expert team today.